In one of the widest coordinated counter-terror operations in recent years, security agencies have cracked down on an alleged Pakistan-based Shahzad Bhatti network an intelligence-backed syndicate accused of involvement in grenade attacks, IED blasts, petrol bomb incidents and targeted killings across India.

The operation was conducted on August 12 through a real-time intelligence-sharing mechanism involving central agencies and state police forces. The joint operation led to the detention of 253 people across 14 states, bringing renewed focus on the alleged scale and reach of the network’s activities across the country.

Union Home Minister Amit Shah described the crackdown as a major success against cross-border terrorism. He said security forces had dismantled the Shahzad Bhatti network and arrested more than 200 operatives linked to it.

Taking to X, formerly known as Twitter, Shah said coordinated operations were conducted at multiple locations across 14 states. Security agencies recovered IEDs, grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols, live cartridges and CCTV cameras allegedly used for espionage.According to officials, the network operated through local handlers and operatives who were tasked with conducting reconnaissance of police establishments, defence installations and religious sites.

“Modi govt destroyed the ISI-backed terror group Shahzad Bhatti Network ahead of Independence Day and thwarted its plans for subversive attacks by arresting more than 200 operatives,” his post said.

Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of detentions, with 62 people taken into custody for questioning. It was followed by Haryana, Delhi and Punjab. Rajasthan accounted for nearly 15 detentions, while Maharashtra and Uttarakhand recorded eight and five detentions, respectively.Three people were detained each in Karnataka, Gujarat and Bihar. Telangana, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir recorded two detentions each. As part of the ongoing investigation, FIRs have also been registered against those arrested. Officials said more than 80 FIRs had been filed against over 200 people in connection with the Shahzad Bhatti network.The cases have been registered under provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, Arms Act, Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and Explosives Act. Investigators are now examining financial transactions, communication records and local support structures allegedly linked to the syndicate.

The operation reflects the government’s stated policy of zero tolerance towards terrorism and highlights the growing coordination between central and state agencies in addressing alleged cross-border security threats.